We consider respect for the environment as an obligation to society, to ourselves and to sustainability, now and for future generations. In addition to strict compliance with legal regulations, we carry out our own environmental policy, with a strong commitment to the protection of the environment, to an efficient and sustainable management of resources, to the use of renewable energies, and to the mitigation and adaptation to climate change through programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
As part of Almirall's commitment to society, one of the objectives driving our daily activity is the respect for the environment, including energy performance.
With this in mind, the following basic principles are established:
- Commitment to the protection of the environment, encouraging its integration in the course of the company daily activity processes.
- Efficient and sustainable management of resources, use of renewable energies, and commitment to mitigation and adaptation to climate change, through programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Commitment to continuous improvement of Almirall´s environment management to improve its performance, complying with applicable legal requirements and other requirements to which Almirall subscribes voluntarily.
- Establishment of periodical programmes, with objectives and targets in line with applicable standards, with this global corporate policy and with risks and opportunities identified in the area of protection of the environment.
- Training, implication and participation by employees and those third companies collaborating with Almirall, in applying the main contents of this global corporate policy.
- Ensuring availability of necessary information and resources, and planning how to best use them.
- The respect for the environment is a whole company's goal, and thus responsibility for achieving it involves everyone in the company, whatever our level or function.
Environmental management certification.
The implementation of our environmental policy is certified according to ISO14001:2004 international standard at our sites in Spain (since 2004) and Germany (since 2013). This stringent certification covers our activities on R&D, manufacture of active pharmaceutical ingredients, and manufacture & wholesale of drug products. Awarded by TÜV Rheinland, it certifies that we apply the latest, most demanding environmental management criteria, beyond the standards required by current legislation.
Energy Management certification.
In addition, as part of our integrated health, safety and environmental policy, we have implemented an energy management system, certified according to ISO50001:2011 by TÜV Rheinland at our sites in Spain (since 2013) and Germany (since 2016). Almirall was one of the first pharmaceutical companies to be awarded this internationally-recognised certification. This system helps us to reduce our impact on the environment even further, in the development of our R&D activities, manufacture of active pharmaceutical ingredients, and manufacture & wholesale of drug products.